Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A Week in the Life of a Fabric Designer, Part 1

Hello, my name is Lynne and I have designed fabric for Moda for 20 years. I create quilts from those fabrics, write books and patterns, teach workshops, and host retreats. Our company is Kansas Troubles Quilters. My husband, Robert, manages our KT Quilt Shop in Bennington, Kansas.


Those are the basics of my life, sounding very much like I'm at a meeting for a 12-step program for the quilt addicted. Every time I visit a quilt guild or teach a class, someone always asks:
"What's your process?"
"Do you get to sew everyday?"
"What are you working on?"

1. Inspiration comes from everywhere - nature, travel, vintage quilts or quilts I want for my home.

2. No, unfortunately, I don't get to sew everyday. Sometimes, when I'm on a deadline, I don't touch my machine for a week or more.

3. This is the trickiest question. Usually, I'm working with 3-4 fabric lines at a time. Over the next couple weeks, I'll let you in on my creative process and what a week in my designing life looks like.

Milestones fabric, BOM, Kit To Quilt and more 

Milestones Projects

Milestones arrived in late fall along with several patterns featuring the collection. I used Milestones along with my KT Favorites III fabric for the 20 Years of KTQ block-of-the-month and was inspired by some of the blocks to create additional projects (the 4 patterns are included as a bonus when you purchase the BOM). Here's the Milestones swatch chart with sku numbers for easy planning. And, a few of my favorites.

Milestones


20 Plus - classic blues and tans

A Few Little Extras - two pillow covers and a pincushion, just for fun.

Bee-you-ti-ful Runner - to bring some sunshine inside everyday.

Woven Dreams Jelly Roll lap quilt - easy traditional piecing

2 Steps Forward - Milestones charm pattern

20 Years of KTQ

First, I was working with the most current fabric line and the monthly programs we have in progress.  We had a new block-of-the-month, 20 Years of KTQ beginning the first week of January. I worked with Joy at the store to make sure the kits were cut, the goodies were packed (usually with a little surprise), and that Robert could ship them on time. I was also piecing some of the blocks to post a quilt-a-long on Facebook at 20 Years of KTQ. If you're working on the quilt, join us on the 15th and 30th of each month for tips, to post your blocks and ask questions.

20 Years of KTQ BOM


Kit To Quilt

Our mystery kit was due to ship the first of February, so I needed to make sure the pattern was ready, buttons were ordered, write an intro letter, and let Joy know what was included in the kit. This month's project was just in time for Valentine's Day, String of Hearts. It's one of my easy, no piecing, Mini Table Treats. Just layer the circles, quilt, applique, bind. So fast & fun! Every other month, you'll receive everything you need to complete a small project - table topper, pillow, runner, wall quilt - for only $30 postage paid (retail value $40+).

At the same time, I was editing patterns for Through the Years, writing patterns and making quilts for the new Christmas line, Sweet Holly (June), working on new designs for the Spring Market collection, Bittersweet Lane, and designing a new line of fabric for Spring 2021. That's all coming up in the next few posts.

Is there anything you'd like to know about a designer's life? I'm happy to answer any of your questions.

Comment to win the String of Hearts digital pattern. It is one of 7 new Mini Table Treats created for a new booklet this spring.






21 comments:

  1. This would look sweet on my table. Love the mini table toppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love any and all table toppers. It is a beautiful way to easily change the theme of your table decorations. Plus fun to create!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style and color palette.
    You give me inspiration.
    Pam thecabbageleaf@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3-4 fabric lines at once! You certainly are busy. Do you ever have time just to sew for fun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fabric especially your neutrals!! They are awesome in your String of Hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love the Kit to Quilt Club. Small projects that satisfy my Kansas Trouble addiction. Thank you for sharing your great talent with the quilting world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to know for quite a long time how fabric designers actually get paid. Is it per line? Per yard? How successful a line is?
    I'm sure glad that you have given us 20 years of fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your fabric lines and am amazed at how much work goes into the design process. Thanks for creating such wonderful fabrics for us to play with! The little Sting of Hearts is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your fabric lines are beautiful! You have such a busy life, I am amazed at all you do. The String of Hearts mini table topper is nice!! It would make a great gift for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a peek into your busy life. The String of Hearts table topper is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always wondered about the design process. How big is your actual design? Do you do the design and then choose the color? How much input do you receive from Moda? Who chooses the size of the repeat in the pattern? Do you create other art in addition to fabric? I have loved your fabric for at least ten years. I really like how your designs and colors all play well together. Congratulations on 20 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t begin to thank you for all you inspiration and beautiful fabric designs through the years. I am a loyal KT fabric collector and I even occasionally make some quilts from them��. I’ve enjoyed reading about your design process. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a huge fan of your fabrics. I don't remember the name of the line of fabric but there was a beautiful dusty blue background. I am not a fan of blue but absolutely loved that one. I have not seen it used in any other line of fabric. Do you plan on making anymore with a dusty blue ? Of topic quilt question ,, do you have a favorite historic site in your area that you like to visit ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love your line of fabric designs and I might need to start, or join, KT Fabrics Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love learning more about designing. I’m a huge fan of your quilts and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there!
    I love to read your blog ❤️
    One thing I’ve wondered about with fabric design - about how long is the process from design idea to distribution to quilt shops?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stay tuned for answers to all your questions!
    Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe like the rest of us you need just one more thing to do. I love the blue and white. It is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been a huge fan of your fabrics and quilt designs since I started quilting, I love your primitive style!

    ReplyDelete