Monday, February 8, 2016

KT Stitch With Me - Week #3

KT Winner

Congratulations to the winner of a 4-pack of KT Mini Charms! I hope you have fun with them.
Kurt Schindler -Can't wait to see the next step of the project. Awesome, so far.
Charlotte

Thanks a bunch to everyone who's following along on my first KT Stitch with Me. I'm thinking this is too much fun to only do once. Watch for information on the next Stitch with Me later this spring.

KT Stitch With Me - Week #3

We have a Floating Star with a Checkerboard border surrounded in red after Weeks #1 and #2. Now I'd like to share one of my favorite layered patchwork shortcuts - flying geese. This works with any size block, but starting with a precut square is the easiest. Simply cut the charm or mini charm diagonally once (/) to create 2 triangles with pinked 90 degree edges. These are your geese. 

For this project, select 22 assorted dark MC (mini charm squares).
Cut: MC - (22) 2 1/2" sq. (/) cut once diagonally to yield 2 triangles for geeese
         tan - (44) 2" x 3 1/2" background
                  (8) 1 1/4" x 17"  sashing


Layer each triangle on a tan background rectangle with right sides up and bottom edges even. Place a dot of glue on each point to hold in place. 


Topstitch 1/8" from pinked edges of triangles. Do not sew along the bottom edge of the flying geese since it will be in the seam allowance. Make (44) flying geese blocks.



Lay out flying geese in (4) rows of (11) geese each. Sew rows together; press toward geese points. Each row measures 3 1/2" wide x 17" long.

 Sew a 1 1/4" x 17" tan sashing strip to both sides of each geese row; press toward tan. Set aside for Week #4.

How easy was that? I would say genius, but I'm much too modest. :) These really are no-fail flying geese you can use for a million different projects. Here's one from Crazy for Minis that you could whip up in an afternoon!
Comment here to win the Crazy for Minis book and a Bees 'n Blooms mini charm. Bees 'n Blooms will ship in March to your favorite quilt shop. Get yours first! Stay tuned for more fun with Bees 'n Blooms over the next few weeks.

43 comments:

  1. This is turning into such a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I have never made flying geese. I really want to make some, but they scare me. Your project is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to make flying geese. I love this block and can't wait to give it a go. Thank you for teaching me new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to make flying geese. I agree ~ GENIUS! I've never been afraid to make them the usual way, but doing it this way you erase the fear whether you'll be having to unpick seams because you've stitched too far in and lost your points. Love it! Thank you for showing us to make them this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like that flying goose runner! What a way to speed things up! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Light bulb moment for the flying geese!! THANK YOU!! Love flying geese but (up until now) have hated making them because they are hit or miss. You've solved that dilemma for me! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE YOUR RUNNER! THANKS FOR SHARING!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much easier can a flying geese unit get? Thanks for sharing this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a clever way to make flying geese!!! Seems pretty fool-proof to me! Thank you for sharing your wonderful tips and techniques with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a quick way to make flying geese!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Genius!!! Your techniques are a very fun (and stress free) way to get quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love flying geese! This seems such a neat, umm, easier way of doing them! So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love flying geese! This seems such a neat, umm, easier way of doing them! So neat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that looks like flying geese that I could do! Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool way to make flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The more I see the more I like your method. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a easy way to make flying geese, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so easy, I think I might finally get my daughters to try quilting with your layered patchwork technique!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am enjoying this MC project so much. Can't wait to get started with the flying geese. changed the red for a beautiful rusty shade & it goes perfectly with the orange-y color in my MCs.
    Thanks for all of this.
    Mary Farrow Sinclair,Amherst, NS Canada

    ReplyDelete
  20. how wonderful! I love flying geese and I love this shortcut!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love this flying geese method and the project. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I have several Flying Geese quilt patterns that I've put off making because FG are so tricky to make. This will make it so easy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoohoo--what a great way to make flying geese!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the colors in this mini quilt and enjoy the layered technique to making otherwise time consuming blocks. Thank you for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love small quilts--have never done this technique before, but will try it now! So cute and so easy!sperry@peoplepc.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have made two minis so far this year. Thank you for the tutorial and the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Question? So you sew on top of the pinked edges. You don't have to turn anything over to make the geese? But you have a raw edge, right? It frays up a bit when washed? Is that how you do all your geese, frayed edges? Well, I'm going to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, Yes, we're sewing on top, no turning. Yes, it frays a bit, but with pinked edges, there's no unraveling. Big difference to me. No ugly threads, just a soft frayed edge that give it a primitive look and feel. The major rule of layered patchwork - the exposed raw edges need to be pinked or on the bias to eliminate raveling. Try it, you'll love it!

      Delete
  28. Definitely want to begin MINIs projects -- too cute! Thanks for the cool project we're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These geese are flying all over the sewing room! Love 'me!! So easy!
    This is a really fun project. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These geese are flying all over the sewing room! Love 'me!! So easy!
    This is a really fun project. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love these flying geese, and always loving your new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the way these flying geese turn out. So easy and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will definitely have to try this flying geese method.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loving this project! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE your flying geese method!! Sew fast, sew easy and sew much fun to do. I have them all done and stitched together. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great easy way to make flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love, Love, Love this way of making flying geese. I have a hard time having them come out the right size. Thanks for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful table runner. Thanks for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Now that's a fun way to make flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had sew much fun making these flying geese units! They went sew fast, too! I'm really enjoying this project. Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete