Tuesday, July 19, 2016

KTQ Website News

KT Winner

Congrats to this week's winner of a KT red/tan/navy 6-pack of fat quarters:

Nan Martino - Happy "Birthweek" Lynn! I spent the 4th working on a scrappy star quilt, using KT fabric of course. Bees In Bloom is my NEW favorite!

Thanks to everyone for your warm birthday wishes. I hope you're keeping cool and able to spend some time doing all of your favorite things this summer.

KT Webstore Updates

Robert has been working hard to update our website with all the newest KT products. He would probably be further along if I didn't keep adding to his list. (I'd hate for him to run out of things to do.) We've added 2 new categories - Lynne's Favorite Notions and Kansas Troubles Fabrics. The notions group includes our new KT Aurifil thread box and single spools of thread, Sewline glue pens & refills, Olfa pinking, wave and scallop blades and Phillips Fiber Art Cut-a-Round rulers.

Aurifil Thread - If you follow my blog, you've heard me sing the praises of Aurifil 50wt. thread. I use it for my layered patchwork technique, raw edge applique and piecing. It's fine, strong and I love my new box of KT colors that blend beautifully with my fabrics. It's like opening a new box of crayons at the beginning of the school year!

KT Aurifil Thread Box of 10 Colors

Cut A Round Rulers - Do you ever need to cut a perfect circle? I have a series of 17" round table toppers we call Mini Table Treats. All of them start with a 17" background circle with a smaller circle layered on top. These rulers cut them in no time at all. Here are a few but we have more than a dozen Mini Table Treats patterns on the website.
Simply fold a fat quarter into fourths, place the ruler on the folded edges and cut a quarter circle. When opened, it's a perfect circle! I love that! Totally worth it if you use circles. There are several sizes. I like the medium and large sizes. They cover about anything I need, although I'm thinking I might need the small Cut A Round that cuts circles as small as 2". Wool pennies, anyone???


Olfa Blades - I use alot of precuts in my layered patchwork projects that require pinked edges. When I don't have quite enough precut charm squares or Jelly Roll strips, I reach for my Pinking blade and cut my own. It's a bit larger pinked edge than Moda's factory precuts, but once you mix them all together and wash your quilt, there's little difference in appearance. The Scallop and Wave blades make a larger pinked edge and are adorable on kids projects or for a decorative look.

45mm Olfa Blades - Scallop, Pinking, Wave
 Sewline Glue Pen & Refill - I use this glue pen on a daily basis. I prefer adding a dot of glue to a couple points of my triangles for layered patchwork instead of pins. The layered piece does not scooch and you don't have to worry about removing pins (or breaking a needle). This is the best quality fabric glue I've found. It sticks much like a Post-It note, is repositionable and washes out easily. It doesn't leave a stiff spot on your quilt and, most importantly, has no harsh chemicals to damage your fabric over time like ordinary school glue.

Sewline Glue Pen & Refill

Kansas Troubles Fabric.  - Over the years, we've had many requests to offer KT yardage online. Now, you can purchase Bees 'n Blooms, Prairie Cactus and Cozy Cottage Flannels by the 1/2 yard. (If you purchase multiple 1/2 yd. cuts of the same fabric, we'll send a full piece.) Our fabric is $10.50/yd. everyday for cotton, $12.00/yd. for flannel. Quantites are limited.

Bees 'n Blooms

Prairie Cactus

 
Cozy Cottage Flannels



Comment this week to win one of my favorite notions - a Sewline glue pen. 

33 comments:

  1. Wow,great info on the notions! Never thought of cutting a circle using that method and the Sewline glue sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew there were round rulers! Those are really neat! May have to get a set along with the scalloped rotary blades. Thanks for the neat ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew there were round rulers! Those are really neat! May have to get a set along with the scalloped rotary blades. Thanks for the neat ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Round Rulers ? I was clueless too and I have never used a glue pen either - Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great update Lynn. I forgot about your mini table treats and I have the "bee" kit.
    That is going to bee my next project, and a ruler to cut some table toppers. I will use for wool applique toppers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great update Lynn. I forgot about your mini table treats and I have the "bee" kit.
    That is going to bee my next project, and a ruler to cut some table toppers. I will use for wool applique toppers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of that glue pen. I've tried other brands and haven't been completely happy with them, so I'll be excited to give the Sewline a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The web site is looking good! I can't wait for my box of thread to show up. I ordered it a while back and everyday I check the mail in anticipation of its arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting news all around! Congratulations on your very own Aurafil box! Thank you for sharing your notions. The glue is one notion I've not tried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for introducing notions I had not yet heard about. I love finding new things that make the quilting and sewing process easier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really interested in the round rulers and I like your little round table runners. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta keep your husband busy and the quilters happy. LOL. I've never used a glue pen, sound like something I could use. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the advise on notions. The glue pen looks like something I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Sewline Glue Pen but they are hard to find! I loved your round ruler! Thanks for all this wonderful info! Happy Belated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those circle mats. Happy belated birthday! I didn't realize Olfa had more than just the pinking blade which I already have. Thanks for the tip about cutting your own and that it doesn't look any different than the pre-cuts. So glad we could buy fabric directly from you now. K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Aurifil thread collection--so many of them are full of crazy brights--yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do enjoy paper piecing and have always wanted to try a glue pen, so this is a great opportunity. Thank you for all the comments regarding your favorite notions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never used a glue pen and the round ruler would make cutting so much easier. One item I might have to order. PS: It is going to be 100 degrees here today in MO and I have 2 quilts on the clothes line made with KTQ fabric. I think they will dry fast !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love using the circle ruler. Don't have the tiny one yet! Have been thinking about switching to the Aurifil thread. Must say that I haven't ever used the glue pen..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to try the glue pen! It would be nice not to have to pin or hold the fabric with my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never used a glue pen but love to do applique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the thread!!! And I think the glue pen would be great for my EPP! I have not tried glue basting but it sounds like a real time saver!
    Nancy
    eddnancy@msn

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am starting EPP also, and look forward to using a glue pen.
    Thank you for the interesting blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lynne, I love your thread. I'm thinking that I might need more to cover all of your fabric in my stash! I learned how to cut a quarter circle many years ago using a pencil tied to a string that was secured on the point of the fold. This ruler would be so much easier. Its going to be on my "much needed" list to order. Blew the budget this month already.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! I didn't know there were round rulers and since I'm a ruler junkie I'll have to add one to my collection. Haven't tried the Sewline glue pens but I will also get one of those. One day this fall I'm headed to your shop as it's just to hot in KC right now to even venture out of the house. Thanks for the info. Rina

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't tried the glue pens yet. The circle rulers would be great to have.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never tried this glue. It sounds awesome! Thanks!

    Please click on the delaineelliott above for my email link.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't tried glue on any of my projects. I enjoy reading your tips and seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to try this glue. I have been hesitant to try glues for fear of gum in up my machine or staining fabric, etc. so wonderful to hear a professional uses it. I love your fabric line too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm very excited about the thread (had to hunt high and low for thread for my Rustic Stars quilt. So delighted you have your own set now. Would love to win the glue, good tools make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love reading your suggestions, and knowing which products you personally use!

    Do you have a favorite Moda Bella Solid color to use when you want a cream for backgrounds? Or do you always go scrappy with the lighter prints in the fabric line?

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great idea to use a glue pen, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea to use a glue pen, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete