Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Moda Blockheads Week #25


Blockheads Week #25

What goes around, comes around. And here we are again with a KTQ block, Twice the Friendship. I feel I've gotten to know so many of you through your Blockhead posts on FB each week - your favorite colors, fabric choices and tidbits you've gleaned from everyone in the group. I've thoroughly enjoyed scrolling thru the dozens of blocks each week. Thanks to all of you for hanging out with the Blockheads.

I've added a little twist to a simple friendship star to create twice the movement. My Layered Patchwork technique makes it twice as easy. Or, choose the Traditionally Pieced option. See, twice the fun!

Block #25 - Twice the Friendship - Lynne's Layered Patchwork

Block #25 - Twice the Friendship - Traditional Piecing

Here are Kathy & Joy's blocks. The block on the left is pieced traditionally, the block on the right features layered patchwork.
Traditioanal piecing on the left; layered patchwork on the right.



Question of the Week: 

In the many, many years you've been quilting, has there been a product invention in the quilting industry that makes you happy? (Carrie worded the question slightly differently, but this is the basic gist of it.)

Who doesn't love the rotary cutter? I only had scissors and a plastic template for my first quilt. For borders, I laid my fabric on the floor, used a wooden yardstick to measure a straight line and cut with scissors. Yikes! Rotary cutters, mats & rulers changed my world and were probably a big reason I made my second quilt. But that's a pretty obvious answer. What really makes me happy is how much better fabric and thread are today versus 20+ years ago.  Moda and Aurifil are always striving to improve the quality of their products, which in turn, make my quilts better, too. Gotta love it!


Please check out my fellow designer's blogs this week to see all the fun they have to offer.

Betsy's Blog - http://betsysbestquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/

Lisa's Blog - https://lisabongean.com/
  
Jo's Blog - http://jomortonquilts.com/jos_journal/

Carrie's Blog - http://blog.modafabrics.com/


And of course, you can always catch up with all of our blocks to date here:
Moda Blockheads Directory 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your beautiful blocks and comments, Lynne. Some time ago you showed a Christmas log cabin quilt in reds, greens and tans. Were you going to a sew along with that or am I able to somehow get my hands on that pattern? I've been wanting to make a KT Christmas log cabin now for a few years and maybe this year is the year!!?? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite gadget for quilting is the BlocLoc ruler. The ruler makes sqaring up 1/2 square triangle blocks easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly the rotary cutter and cutting mats have revolutionized quilting!! I especially like the safety locks on the newer ones. I even use both for card making . . . I find the cutters used for paper just don't give that nice sharp edge!!! So I have cutting mats in all sizes,

    ReplyDelete