Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Moda Blockheads Week #29


It's Week #29 of Moda's Blockheads block of the week.

Our Question of the Week: Do you ever machine quilt your own quilts? Any special tips?

Obviously I'm ahead on BOW questions since I answered this one last week. If you're interested, here's what I said in my Sept. 13 blog post about machine quilting:

Ok, this is a question I can relate to. (Hand quilting, not so much.) I quilt small projects on my Bernina like Mini Table Treats and pillow toppers and runners. Otherwise, Joy quilts almost everything else. She's better at it and I usually don't have the time. To make my machine quilting look better, I use Aurifil 50wt. thread in a matching color with a size 60/8 needle. It's a little challenging to thread a needle that size, but when stitching in the ditch, it makes all the difference. My stitches virtually disappear! Try it sometime and let me know what you think.


Lisa gives us another challenging block to hone our piecing skills. Kathy expertly executed her block in red/white/blue from Lisa's assorted collections. I thought it went perfectly with my new find: Red & White Quilts - Infinite Variety book of Joanna S. Rose's fabulous quilt collection I purchased at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC a couple weeks ago. Not the smartest thing to buy & carry around all day since it weighs a ton, but worth every ounce.

Kathy's red/white/blue Block #29 - traditionally pieced.
 Click here for Lisa's blog and the instructions for Juneau - Block #29.
Joy's Layered Patchwork version in plum & green.
Click HERE for my simplified layered patchwork option.


Visit all the Blockheads' blogs:

Betsy's Blog - http://betsysbestquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/

Jan's Blog - http://janpatek.blogspot.com/

Jo's Blog - http://jomortonquilts.com/jos_journal/

Carrie's Blog - http://blog.modafabrics.com/

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes I do machine quilt my own quilts. I have an Avante Handiquilter with studio frame. I have a backlog of quilts ready to quilt though because I enjoy piecing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also machine quilt my own quilts. I use my Bernina 153 which is also a great piecing machine. I love the entire process of quilting, from picking out the pattern & fabric right down to FMQing & binding.

    ReplyDelete