Monday, August 31, 2020

20 Years of KTQ BOM - Block #16

Block #16-Kansas Sunflower

This week we're piecing Block #16-Kansas Sunflower. It's one of my favorite flowers, growing wild in the ditches along country roads this time of year in our area. I've designed sunflower blocks for several other projects, but I really like the way this block represents the state flower.
 
The center of the sunflower is just squares with connecting corners (snowball corners) on the brown square and gold strips. I always fold my squares toward the corner to make sure they match before trimming. The same goes for the H/E pieces on either side of the quarter square. 
 
Cut the F & D squares oversized, if desired, then trim after piecing the quarter square. If you have an accurate 1/4" seam allowance, the given measurements are accurate.
 

 
 
Note that the sunflower stem strips are cut from a fat quarter (in the BOM kit), so it will need to be pieced and trimmed to length.

 

This month, you'll also be piecing the signature blocks. I fused the tan strips to the green background so I had a little stability for writing "KTQ" on one and the year on the other. And, if I didn't like the first attempt, I could redo the fused strip without ruining the block. Just sayin...

One of the bonus patterns that comes with the 20 Years of KTQ BOM pattern packet is Bee-you-ti-full, a bright & cheery runner made with two of the sunflower blocks just right for summer into fall decorating. Not part of the BOM? No problem. It's also available as a single pattern (only $6.50) - printed pattern or PDF HERE.
Bee-you-ti-full Runner

 I LOVE the bees! They're easy fusible applique topstitched with coordinating Aurifil 50wt. thread. The wings and body use my KT Melon Template for even easier cutting. 

I hope you're enjoying every moment of these last few days of summer. I'm soaking it all in, but anxiously waiting for fall. 
 
Let me know how you're coming along. I love to see all the pictures of your progress on our Facebook Group page 20 Years of KTQ BOM and on Instagram. Follow me at #lynnektq. See you September 15th for the next block!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment