Thursday, January 30, 2020

20 Years of KTQ Block-of-the-Month

If you're making my 20 Years of KTQ BOM, thanks for joining me! Here's the second block in the series. Please follow along on my Facebook group by the same name to ask questions and post your blocks.

The instructions for this quilt are found in the block-of-the-month pattern at your local quilt shop or at ktquilts.com HERE.  

Block #2 - String of 9-Patches

The second block in my quilt is a row of five 9-patch blocks on point. I use 9-patches alot in my designs, especially as filler blocks. My favorite is this uneven 9-patch with a larger center square. I think it's more interesting and offers more design options, too.

What you need to know about Block #2

Cutting Corrections
Green & Gold - (4) (2) 1 1/2" x 10"

Tan - background - D - (1) 1 1/2" 2" x 29 1/2"

Assembly
2. Crosscut into a total of (10) 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"  4 1/2" B-segments.

Pressing
To keep the 9-patch section square, be careful when piecing and pressing the A & B triangles. I like to spray the triangles with sizing after sewing them to the 9-patches and press it while folded. (If you press the triangle while damp, it will stretch more). Then, I press the triangle open using my ruler on my pressing mat as a straight edge guide, as shown. If each 9-patch + A triangles unit is straight, I know the section will be straight when I'm finished.



The main thing to know about blocks that are sashed as you go is to make sure they are the correct overall measurement. For example, when you add the A and B triangles to the 9-patches, if your unit measures less than 6 1/4" wide, then the whole section, even with sashing, will come out narrow, too. When sewing all the blocks together in the quilt, the section measurement (block + sashing) is more important than what each block measures. If your seam allowances are on the wider side, wait to cut your sashing strips until you assemble the larger sections. You'll waste less fabric, and be happier with the final results.

Lynne's block- trimmed before sashings

Kathy's blocks with sashing.
See you on February 15th for Block #3.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable little blocks. Thank you for the BOM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I know how you feel!! I am a scrap quilter and cannot resist keeping anything larger than 1-1/2" but now I have too many, again! Confession time-(the ones that are smaller than 1-1/2" I cut up and make fabric pot pourri-just get a jar and spray your fav scented oil onto the fabric pieces, put in a jar, no rosehips required-but endless supply) Sad right? But all those scraps make me happy!

    ReplyDelete