Monday, May 4, 2015

Heartfelt Christmas in Spring!

KT Winner

 Congratulations to
I like looking at quilting and sewing sites but I don't have a favorite. Thanks.

You're the winner of our new Heartfelt charm pattern, From the Heart, and our KT Melon Template. Thanks to everyone for commenting and continuing to visit my blog. 

Moda Blog Hop

Watch every day this week for Moda's Designer Blog Hop featuring Blog Takeovers. All of us are so crazy busy in the weeks leading up to market that we're having our significant others (or pets) write our blog posts for us. It's designers in real life (#designersirl), nothing held back. KT's day is May 1st when Robert will show you his view of the madness. 


Heartfelt Christmas

Some people complain when Christmas decorations make their way into department stores before Halloween. As quilters, we're waiting anxiously for Christmas fabric to arrive in quilt shops in May and June! After all, we need alot of time to check them all out, select a pattern and make those special projects for Christmas gifts. We don't see Christmas in the Spring as a weird thing at all. And so it is that I have new projects to share for the holidays.

Heart of the Home is the booklet we put together featuring a star (who doesn't love stars for the holidays??)  surrounded by flying geese units that are made using our layered patchwork technique. Simply lay a tan triangle on a red, green or black background rectangle, stitch on top and sew the rectangles together to create the star and geese. It makes a difficult looking block a breeze to piece for any size project. Joy quilted feathered wreaths in the tan spaces for an especially festive look.
 A table runner in reds/tan works well for Christmas - or anytime of year.
 I love using leftover parts to make a pillow topper to coordinate with my quilts. This topper in all greens took about 1 1/2 hours to piece & quilt, then a couple episodes of The Big Bang Theory to bind. (Do you measure binding in hours of TV watched? For example, a queen quilt is about 2 movies on a Sunday afternoon.)
 
Our giveaway this week is the Heart of the Home booklet. Winner to be selected randomly by midnight Monday, May 4th.  New post Tuesday May 5th. Comment here about your Christmas quilting operating procedure. Are you an early starter? Wait until Thanksgiving to begin? Or somewhere in between?

38 comments:

  1. I make Christmas anytime of the year, doesn't matter to me, LOL
    I love that runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love checking out the Christmas fabrics when they come out but can't seem to start a project in the summertime :) I seem to get in the "spirit" in the cooler temps of Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have good intentions early but it 's always Thanksgiving or later before I get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the giveaway,
    I have to strat once all my swap partners are drawn. That happens every year between September and October and than I have to get going and will not stop until every parcel is mailed out.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually start my Christmas projects in late September or early October. The entire time I am working on those projects I swear I will start earlier the next year, but somehow that doesn't seem to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have dreams of starting early, but in truth I am working feverishly in Nov and Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm I start early but seem to finish at the deadline..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my mind I start planning for my Christmas giving in January. But it always seems the actual sewing doesn't start until October and then I am afraid I will never get it done. Every year I say I won't do that again. But I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never stop planning for Christmas. The making "gathering" begins about now and then I'm in "last minute panic" about October-December.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI,I love that little runner!
    I think about it this time of year, but seldom start any Christmas projects until Autumn when it freezes early here in the Rocky Mts. That first frost gets me going !
    Thanks for a sweet giveaway! msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think way ahead of time, but then that time never comes. LOL My 6 year old granddaughter's baby quilt is still not finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I try to start early, I get everything ready then BANG! I go do something else,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I start Christmas quilt making as soon as I can get my hands on the new fabric that comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I start as soon as the Christmas fabric is released, but never seem to finish! My good intentions never seem to materialize into completed projects, So I guess I could say I have a really big head start on someday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always have big plans but somehow They never seem to materialise,,,,I do have one big quilt for Christmas that I get out every year and I love it so much it is still on the back of my sofa...better get it packed away or I will have nothing to get out this year :)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. just got the blog post on email. Lovely quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ❤️ that table runner!! It is so, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do Christmas projects all year long....whenever the mood strikes. It's the "happ-happiest season of all"! 🎶 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually start any Christmas projects in late Agust when the nights get cooler

    ReplyDelete
  20. I work on Christmas stuff all during the year. I really love your new patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am new to quilting, so this will be my first year to make anything for Christmas! I'm excited! I will have to start early because it takes me forever to finish something!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I try to start early every year, but it seems like I always end up in a mad rush to the 25th!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whenever I'm in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Guilty as charged! Finishing the labels for two quilt gifts from LAST year's Christmas group ... but they will be done and delivered by Memorial Day! Each year resolve to get a start earlier but usually don't get into the swing of it until sometime in the Fall ... then it is pedal to the metal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am an early starter and this year is no different. I have two
    Christmas Quilts on the go for my two Nieces. These have to be done by August as these are their Birthday gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have quit making quilts as Christmas gifts--too stressful at a busy time of year. If a quilt I've made during the year is appropriate for someone, they will get that quilt as a gift. I do make Christmas items to donate and decorate with though, but try to have them finished well before the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carol in Prairie Village I'm with Karen. Too much to do for Christmas to make a quilt also, and if you only give to one, someone else will feel left out. I just make quilts when I find one I really like; and if it fits someone, they get it then.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I dream about what I'm going to make for about 2 or 3 months, then I start around Halloween, seems I work better with a deadline. Love your blogs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I usually don't get inspires as to what I want to make for gifts until it's late & I'm making things last minute. This book would be great to get me inspired earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a very small family that I quilt for. I try to use more generic motifs for my quilts so they can be used throughout the year. The Heart of the Home quilts would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh - I have good intentions to start my Christmas quilting early - but somehow summer activities interfere. :) Would love to win The Heart of the Home book. Thanks for the chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love anything from Kansas Troubles at any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've been trying to start a Snowman quilt for my granddaughter and family for 2 years!!! This is the year, will begin cutting in July! Jeannine aka j9knits

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great Designs! Geese are my favorite animals to sew. Kansas Troubles is like a staple, bread for the soul.
    Bindings are a 5 day 1 hour newscast project!
    Rose Bullen

    ReplyDelete
  35. I start a quilt, and don't finish it on time. Then I pick it up again just before Christmas and work on it Christmas Eve until it's done! Yes, I'm a procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I am for sure After Thanksgiving to start! Thank you! Have a lovely Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I usually start whenever I see something I believe would be a good gift for someone special. That could be any time during the year!

    ReplyDelete