Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Moda Blockheads Week #8

 

Happy Week #8 to all of you!

Our Question of the Week - Do you pin? Alot or a little? Do you sew over your pins?

My answers - Yes, some. Absolutely Not.

Okay, a bit more explanation is in order. Yes, I pin when sewing blocks together, sashing strips to blocks or especially borders to a quilt. I never, ever sew over my pins (unless I miss one sewing like a crazy quilter and then, most assuredly, I'll break a needle). Mostly, I use a Sewline glue pen for blocks using my layered patchwork method - no pins needed. I nest my seams when piecing blocks and only pin if my intersections aren't coming out well. Ironically, the smaller the pieces in a block, the more I pin. But I've found sometimes, pinning distorts intersections, too. I just play with what works best for each block.


Moda Blockheads Week #8

Betsy chose a basket for her second block, as well. I really like all the little triangles on the handle. Go to Betsy's blog to download her Basket of Triangles instructions. Kathy made Betsy's block with 2 of her fabrics - a red background and floral print for the basket. I love her deep, rich red! It looks so vintage-y to me - perfect paired with this little doll dress from the 1900's.



 Of course, we had to simplify the block with a little layered patchwork to eliminate about half the seams for the triangles. Find my version of Basket of Triangles LP Here.
Joy's block looks just as adorable with the vintage dress done in red/tan/blue with a light background. (I've actually used a couple of the fabrics from this dress in previous fabric lines. Any of them look familiar???)


Here are the two blocks together, front & back. Joy eliminated 16 seams in the half squares with my layered patchwork technique.


Watch for our KT May Monthly Special on Monday AND a giveaway!
 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks! Sorry for the delay in posting today. I scheduled my blog for 12:01pm instead of 12:01am. Guess writing these posts late at night after my brain has shut down doesn't work well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I pin. I pin a lot. And I sew over some of the pins. There! I've confessed. I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depends on what I am doing but yess I pin and no I don't sew over my pins... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on what I am doing but yess I pin and no I don't sew over my pins... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pin very little and only when necessary to match seams that do not nest. I do not sew over pins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pin a lot less than I used to since I started squaring up my blocks! (Yup, used to skip that part) I pin longer seams and borders and try not to sew over them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do pin. Especially when joining rows and borders. Also when I am fudging seams to match. I do run over a pin now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pin. My first time to sew such small sections though. I may try the glue method.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pin some, but not as much as I used to. I never sew over pins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pin but I never sew over my pins! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pin when a seam wants to be bull headed but I pin on either side of the seam once I've got it matched.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the basket this week. And oh my goodness, that dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definetely a pinner, especially at intersections for matching up my seams. I try my best to remove them before sewing over them but I confess I don't always remove them in time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Six of us from Michigan visited your shop last Thursday. Wow......thank you for sharing your talents with us. I was overwhelmed with you, your Shop and your patterns and fabric. I can't wait to start my Five and Dime. Thank you so much for spending your valuable time with us, it was thrilling. Sharon Sabins

    ReplyDelete