Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Moda Blockheads Week #16

KT Winner

Thanks to all of you that commented about your favorite Mini Table Treats w/Kut-ups. How fun to see which ones you like best. That inspires me to work on more for winter and holidays.

Congratulations to our winner of all 4 new MTT patterns:
mangozz - I would have to choose Songbirds. Thanks for the opportunity to win.

Please send your mailing address to lynne@ktquilts.com. Robert will ship them right out.

Moda Blockheads Question of the Week:
How many "works in progress" do you have? Will you ever finish all of them?

Honestly, I don't have alot of unfinished non-KTQ projects. For business, I have 4 projects currently in the works (already started stitching), with several more on the drawing board. But, we're between markets & fabric lines, too. I am obsessed with collecting the other Moda designer's charms and mini charms. I buy a couple 1/2 yards to coordinate with my favorite charm collections. I hope to make a small project each winter and summer but usually finish in a day or two once I start.

What a great excuse to hunt for cool advertising boxes at antique shows

...or metal file drawers for minis.

Long term, I'm making a Christmas log cabin quilt from the pattern Prairie Christmas, adding a few new blocks each year from my latest Christmas group. I love how they all go together and it's a history of KTQ Christmas fabrics. 



And finally, my long-time-now-retired-piecer-and-friend, Lois Sprecker, and I have been planning/making a spider web block using every fabric in the line for each block for the past 16 fabric lines. It's almost ready to be set together. I'll share when it's done.

I have found there are two types of quilters in the world - process and product. There are quilters who have dozens of projects going at any given time, enjoying the process of cutting, piecing, and playing with their fabric, switching from one quilt to the next, in no hurry to finish. I am a product quilter, partly because of my job. My favorite quilt is the one I'm binding, because I know it's almost done. With so many deadlines, I really have to be a product quilter, but I still enjoy the long term projects as well. This BOW has reignited my passion for starting something new. But, I can't wait to get to the end to see it all come together!

After that VERY long answer, let's get to this week's block. 

Moda Blockheads Week #16
It's the time of year when I yearn for red, tan, and blue all over my house. Jan's flags are perfect for July 4th and all summer long. I can see this cute block framed or enlarged for a pillow topper. Add a checkerboard border for a small table topper or wall quilt to mix in with your other red/tan/blue collectibles. 


Joy made her block with wool on a KT star background, while Kathy chose a dark red background for her fused flags. The wavy stripe for the body of the flag is one of our new Gooseberry Lane prints - perfect!

Go to Jan's Blog to find the instructions for her adorable flags.
Check in on the other designers to see what they've done this week -

Thanks to the tech savvy mind of our very own Carrie Nelson, we now have one place for everything Blockheads on the Moda website. For the official list of all the Blockhead blocks to date, go to:
Moda Blockheads Gallery

17 comments:

  1. I have so many quilts in the works, I had to make a spread sheet to keep track.....I think I will have to live another 100 yrs to finish them all...LOL...but I can try to do as many as I can as long as I am in good health and I truly enjoy every minute of it!!!! I will never be board for a minute....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfinished quilts? Oh, so many. I used to always finish a quilt before starting a new one but there are so many out there that I want to make. I do like projects like Moda Blockheads because I can work on a block without being obsessed with finishing the quilt immediately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have 2-3 quilts/projects in the works. This year I have been concentrating on getting my pieced tops quilted and bound. It's been fun seeing the finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am at the point I usually try not to have more than two quilts going at a time. But I do have other non-quilting projects going, so my office/sewing room looks pretty messy most of the time. I absolutely adore the Christmas Prairie quilt. --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a lot of UFO's because we have a UFO challenge at quild, so that has helped. Now, do I have a lot of quilts that I want to make? Sure do! I am also making your Prairie Christmas quilt with your Prairie Christmas fabric. Love all your KT fabrics! Linda Hoff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do have a lot of quilts that need completed, including one of yours -- Clara's Raised Bed Garden, which is pieced but not quilted. My priority right now is my guild's challenge quilt which is due in Oct. for the local heritage days quilt show. Jan's flags certainly are cute and I may just have to dig into making them, hopefully not to add to my UFO stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 1 1/2 totes of just Kansas Trouble material & bags of projects set aside to start. I have about 5 finished pieced quilts that I would have no trouble finishing if it wasn't for my 62 year old knees!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't count that high! Lots and lots of UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have several ufo's at a time, but like to finish up a project in a reasonable amount of time.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Prairie Christmas quilt pattern and blocks! Do you have any available to purchase? I can't find any on the internet? Thanks!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can try to scan the pattern I have and send it to you. might not be pretty. email me at lynne@ktquilts.com and I'll send the PDF. anyone else interested? We'll try it!

      Delete
  10. I'm a process quilter. I love fabric. the finished project may take a while, but I enjoy the process along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just wondering if you might have a piece of the Oak Haven fabric in the tan? It has swirls and dots? I was working on a project and I am short 1/3 of a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found it on you website, thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have about 5 unfinished projects. My daughter is a 'finisher" and she motivates me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness that Log Cabin takes my breath away!! I've been hoarding all of my KT fabric for this quilt! Please show us lots of pics and share more info on it!! Thanks and have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete