Wednesday, April 15, 2020

20 Years of KTQ Block-of-the-Month

Block #7 - Arrowheads

Sorry for the late post today. Totally forgot what day it was. Is that happening to all of you? I just work and sew and work and sew and never go anywhere, so one day blends into the next. Anyway, let's talk about Block #7 for 20 Years of KTQ block-of-the-month quilt. Are you keeping up? Have questions so far? Comment here or on Facebook. Let's chat.

Arrowheads is made up of half square triangles (HST) and squares. Pretty straight forward. I always list the cutting directions for exactly the measurement you would need for a HST. For instance, for a 2" finished HST, you would cut a 2 7/8" square (always add 7/8" to the finished size desired). But, I always add an 1/8" so I have some wiggle room to trim down my blocks. I usually add a note about it at the bottom of the cutting instructions. For the block-of-the-month, there's a page exclusively for piecing HST including my tips and tricks for perfect blocks.

So, once the HST are pieced and trimmed, it's all just assembling the block. If you're having trouble getting the pieced half of the block the exact size as the A-dark triangle, try making the D-tan setting triangles a bit larger, then trim after piecing in with B/C. It's not the ideal way, but if it helps from throwing the block against the wall, it's worth it.

Here's the Arrowheads block, step-by-step...


Here are Kathy's blocks with sashing.


I'll see you on May 1st for Block #8. Thanks for following along.


1 comment:

  1. I love this block. And, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is waking up and not knowing what day it is!!!! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete