Thursday, April 30, 2020

20 Years of KTQ BOM Block #8

Block #8 - Pumpkin Trio

We're eight weeks into our year long block-of-the-month quilt, 20 Years of KTQ, and still going strong. This weeks block is easy pumpkins and checkerboard. The pumpkin blocks are assorted size squares and rectangles with connecting corners to give a more rounded look.

Draw a chalk line diagonally on the wrong side of the tan background square with a straight edge. Position the square on one corner of the pumpkin, right sides together; stitch on the drawn line. (Of course, I should have used colored chalk and dark thread so it would show up better.)


Trim the corners 1/4" away from the stitching line. 


My best tip for connecting corners? Press seams open after trimming the triangles. I open the seam with the tip of my iron and dry press the seams open first, then spray with sizing and press again. Be careful not to stretch the seam while pressing the bias edges or it will distort the corners.


 Here are Kathy's pumpkins and checkerboard strip, ready to be sewn together. The pumpkin leaves and stems will be added as fusible applique later this year.



This week, we're also piecing mini checkerboard sections as filler for various parts of the quilt. Kathy noticed a cutting error (my counting skills evidently need a little practice).

Section A - cut (15) dark squares and (14) tan squares (need (15) tan squares) 


Please let me know in the comments if you have any questions, or check out the 20 Years of KTQ Facebook group for quilter's finished blocks and comments. I love hearing from you and seeing your progress.

See you May 15th. Have a good week.

2 comments:

  1. Lynne,
    My name is Nancy Lambert
    I purchased the Star Cluster quilt, I have never made a quilt before, ( only very slowly hand sewing a English piecing quilt ) in the package there is three sizes of material 1)called a jelly roll 2)10" x 23", 3) the largest pieces. Which one is the Fat 1/8? or which one I'm I suppose to cut the blocks from? I'm sorry is I sound like I'm dumber than rock, I got so excited to be able make this that I got overwhelmed with the instructions.
    Thank you.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Star Cluster kit comes with a Fat 1/8 bundle (9" x 22"), a few fat quarters (18" x 22") and yardage for background and border. If you received a Jelly Roll (2 1/2" x 45" strips in a roll), it is not part of the Star Cluster quilt kit. We are currently using the fat 1/8's for block piecing. We'll use the fat 1/4's for Block #3 next week. Good for you trying something new! This isn't necessarily a beginners quilt, however. Please email or call the store if you have more questions. It might help to talk to someone in person. lynne@ktquilts.com or 785-488-2120

    ReplyDelete