Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Star Cluster Quilt-a-Long Week #3

Week #3 - Framed Churn Dash Stars

Hello, fellow quilt-a-long-ers! Is that a real thing? Oh well, welcome to week #3 of the Star Cluster quilt-a-long. If you made last week's (7) 10 1/2" square churn dash star blocks, you're ready to move forward. We're framing three of the seven blocks with a churn dash border, so it's an easy sewing week.

The large 15 1/2" blocks are (3) of the previous week's churn dash star blocks framed by 3" border strips with half square triangles (HST) in each corner. We'll cut the border strips from the (3) fat 1/8's added to your kit - green, red & blue. Use the matching fat 1/8 from your bundle to cut the HST. I'm piecing my quilt with my new Sweet Holly Christmas fabric, so I'm substituting black for the blue border. The tan half of the HSTs are from the assorted tans. Grab your (3) churn dash star blocks, (3) fat quarters, (3) coordinating tans, and we're ready to cut.

I like to cut my squares for HST oversized to have more space to trim. Place the dark square over the tan square, right sides together, and draw a diagonal line with a chalk marker. Since I have white chalk, I'm marking on the wrong side of the dark square so it shows up better.






Next, I'll stitch a scant 1/4" on both sides of the drawn line. It works for me to line the right toe of my presser foot up with the chalk line when I stitch in both directions.


Cut on the drawn line to yield a total of (4) HST; press the seams open. I use the point of my iron to open the seam and dry press, then spray with sizing and hard press the seams for a crisp finish that's easier to trim.


Trim the HST to the desired size - 3" sq. each.


Now, we're ready to add the churn dash border. Sew a 3" x 10 1/2" strip on each side of the completed churn dash star block; press toward the borders. Add a HST to each end of the remaining two border strips, making sure the tan triangle is toward the inside of the block, as shown; press toward the border strip. Add the border strip with HST to the top and bottom of the churn dash block; press toward border.



Here are the three completed framed churn dash star blocks that measure 15 1/2" square each.



It was a stormy, gloomy day here so the pictures are a bit dark. I'm glad I got some yard work done yesterday when the weather was beautiful, although really windy. How's the weather in your neck of the woods? Is it springtime yet?

I'll see you next Tuesday for some more fun blocks. Be safe, stay home as much as you can, be healthy. Thanks for quilting along.

4 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying this quilt-a-long. Really like the pattern. Spring time here in Missouri with the usual spring storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to see your comments. Thanks, Kathy, for quilting along with me.

      Delete
  2. Getting ready to cut my border strips. You mention cutting from the three fat quarters in the kit. My kit only contained fat 1/8’s. Is that a typo?
    Thanks for the starch recipe. Eager to try it! Somehow, I’m afraid the guy in the liquor store won’t believe me when I tell him I’m getting the Vodka for making my sewing starch! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eunice, So sorry, it should be (3) fat 1/8's. I was working on another project cutting fat quarters and had it on my brain. Let the liquor store guy wonder.... :)

      Delete