Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Budding Designer

Last week during Spring Break my grandson, Cooper (10), came to stay for a couple days. He spent alot of time on my iPad playing games (and showing me how to find new apps), but was intrigued when Lois and I started laying out Layer Cake and charm squares on the floor for a quilt top. After asking a few questions, he proceeded to arrange fabrics and colors as well as any experienced quilter out there. He was delighted to see the pattern come together as we sewed and pressed blocks and asked some very thoughtful questions about quilting in general and my raw edge applique technique. Before he left, he asked if there were any guys that quilted. I assured him that not only do men quilt, some make a living at it. He offered to accompany me on a few road trips over the summer "just to check things out". Hmmm...I hadn't imagined a second generation of KTQ. You just never know. Here's Cooper with his Justin Bieber "do", posing with another of the Piecing the Past quilts, Peppermint Dreams (his idea).


The pictures I took of the new project turned out really dark, so I'll try again tomorrow. Guess I should have let Cooper take them :).

10 comments:

  1. Cooper is one smart guy and cute too. I have a ten year old son who loves choosing fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that picture taken in your home? I LOVE the way you have used that ladder to display your quilts - have never seen one used horizontally before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new quilts look wonderful. Kids seem to know more than we do nowadays;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie! It must have been fun to have him involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so cool, that Cooper got involved with your quilt making. These are definitely the moments that mean the most to us grandmothers, don't you agree. I love the picture of Cooper with your quilts. Great "do" Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture above was taken in the hall of the former retreat space upstairs in the KT studio. The hallway is about 6 feet wide x 40 feet long with 12ft. ceilings - great display space for quilts. Now, Lois and I sew upstairs in a huge room and enjoy all the "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun and how neat he's showing interest in your craft ... very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a fun day! He sure is a cute kid - hope his interest in quilting continues...you will have to keep up posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea for Cooper! He may be the next quilt superstar!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a new quilter and watch as many quilting shows as I can. I just watched an episode of Quilt in a Day. The American Barn quilt is not "my thing" until I saw it today quilted in Kansas Troubles fabric. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete