Saturday, March 26, 2011

A New Goose

While we're waiting for the UPS guy to bring the newest fabric for market, Lois and I decided to play with a new way to make flying geese. I love the dimension and primitive feel that the soft, frayed edges of raw edge applique lend to a quilt, so why not add that soft, "feathered" edge to our feathered friends? Instead of the more traditional method of piecing flying geese with a rectangle base and squares stitched diagonally, pressed and trimmed, we simply stitched a triangle on the rectangle. Our geese were flying in no time at all!


We sewed several geese together in dozens of rows then placed them "just so" to create stars in the intersections. I love the way the light geese pop against the dark background. My homework today is to figure out how to piece the star sections extending into the border. By Monday evening, it will be off to the quilter!


Have you tried raw edge applique? Do you like the easy application and prim results? I'd love to visit your guild and share the fun.

We're in for a few more days of gloomy, winter weather so I'm taking advantage of the time to work on some wool pincushion projects for workshops later this year. What better way to spend a cold, rainy day than stitching on wool, watching a Hallmark movie with a cup of hot cocoa. Have a warm, wonderful weekend.

14 comments:

  1. It came out really nice, love that prim look. Would definitely be a good way for me to make them, since I cannot piece without being all over the place, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love the frayed edge look - old fashioned and prim but also warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing this raw edge after you've washed the finished quilt - I think it will give it a nice added texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool :) how awesome will this be using flannel! have a grand weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a prim edge, but how does it fray after it is washed? Do you clip it like for a rag quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda - The cool thing about cutting the raw edges of the triangles on the bias (a square cut twice diagonally) is that they just fray and curl - no ravelling and no clipping! The lighter prints work just fine, but for darks I usually prefer plaids since the back curls up when it's washed. I'll be sure to show a closeup after it's been quilted & washed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the frayed edge look!. It makes the quilt look so cozy. They give a warm look to the house. Can't wait to how the quilt turns out after it is quilted and laundered. Don't you just love how quilts turn out after they are washed .... guess I should say if you use cotton batting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like raw edged applique but so far I've quilted my down within an inch of it's life ... I can't wait to see your feathered geese fly :) Happy sewing this weekend! Stay cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frayed geese! Now that's an exciting concept...got to try those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's on my to do list. Thanks for the hint about using plaids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a fan of raw edge applique but this is certainly a neat idea and definitely an easy way to nice even flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this and cant wait to give it a go. I love the flying geese pattern.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I have done some raw edge applique and I love the way it looks and how much easier and quicker it is to do! The first one I did was one of your patterns, a sunflower, imagine that! It was the first time I used a charm pack too! Maybe sometime you can join our "A Stitch and a Prayer" group that I started. We would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this concept, I have not tried it but would love too! Curled up with a project and watching a Hallmark movie is one of my VERY favorite things to do!!! Can't wait to see this quilt all finished! Have a wonderful week Lynne :)

    ReplyDelete