Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stars over the Plains from Piecing the Past

I love old quilts - from crisp quilt tops that have never been finished to hand-pieced/quilted perfect examples to soft, worn everyday quilts that have been well-loved. Much like the imaginary playmates I had who helped me make Barbie clothes and host fashion shows, they all have a story. (Go ahead and laugh. I have friends who've told me I'm fairly normal.) I've purchased a few "investment" pieces over the years, but most of my finds are love at first sight. When a quilt calls to me, I notice the colors,fabrics and block chosen by the quilter, as well as the size and quality of workmanship - and then the story in my head begins. If there are a wide variety of fabrics, did she have a scrapbag handed down to her by a mentoring aunt or gramma? Did a group of friends come together to make a quilt for a family in need? If the quilt appears planned, was it meant for "good" or given as a gift?


In the quilt shown here, the large quantity of pink stripe in the setting blocks indicates it was either purchased or handed down and was the starting point for the quilt. Most of the stars are in blacks and indigos with a few reds scattered for interest. Were the half dozen pinky/browns added at the last minute to fill in the needed rows? Why are there several of these odd blocks clustered together instead of spread more evenly across the quilt? Had she hit that point in her quiltmaking that she just needed to finish it and go on? Her story? Let your imagination fly!

10 comments:

  1. I love quilts with odd blocks, gives it character;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these quilts! Beautifully traditional :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stories some of the quilts could tell .. what a fun find ... adore the stars :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing, but we are just left to wonder. That's why I try to keep a little journal about the quilts I make. Of course they might have done that too but it has been lost over time. I just LOVE the Spring-look for your blog!!! The sunflowers are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several antique quilts and I love them. Yes, if they only could talk and tell their story! It always saddens me to know that someone in their family didn't want them but their loss is my gain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe she didn't like those stars and decided to put them at the bottom of the quilt so she didn't have to see them when she used the quilt !!!
    nothing like looking at antique quilts and asking why did they do that??? what was she thinking????

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe that clust of stars is her family,Close net. And the rest our dear friends. The whats can really keep rolling. I suppose that is why it is important to put those labels on. I am the worst at that part, I will sign but to go the distance and explain it more I really fall short on that end. The sun is shinning so bright here and glaring off our fresh 11 inches of new snow. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She made the rows as finished enough blocks - ran out of fabric yet needed a longer quilt for the bed -- so she improvised with what she had...This is a bed quilt meant to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stories are what I love most about quilts. The stories wrapped up in the old quilts (known and imagined) and also the memories attached to the creating, gifting, and using of the ones I made. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE the quilt with the dark stars and red background. I should have my house decorated in country but hubby doesn't like it. I could do all my quilts in KT fabrics. O old to start over now. LOL

    ReplyDelete