Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Announcing: Sandhill Plums

KT's new fabric collection for spring is Sandhill Plums. The header at the top of the blog shows the Sandhill Plum bushes this fall changing color. In late summer, they produce a grape-size berry that varies from cream to yellow to pink to red. This year's extreme heat and drought left us plum-less - barely enough for the birds. My Gramma used to make Sand Plum Jelly every year for my Dad. After the first couple of pints magically disappeared slathered on homemade bread, it was hoarded thru the winter and only brought out for special occasions.

One of our projects for this group is called Plum Perfect, a 70" square lap quilt featuring a Jelly Roll and Charm Pack. A traditional star block is simplified with raw edge applique for the center, then surrounded by Jelly Roll strips. A charm pack cut diagonally to create triangles is stitched into the border seam for dimensional appeal. Leftover Jelly Roll strips are pieced and cut across the corners for a unique look. Remaining triangles were put to work on a charming pillow. Easy to do, great results!


Notice the scalloped edges? I hadn't received my precuts yet so we cut our own charm squares with a scalloped edge rotary blade. I love the effect!

One of my favorite projects is Just a Little Loopy. (Did I ever tell how hard it is to name quilts???) A Honey Bun and Charm Pack work together to make 3 different projects - a wall quilt, pillow & bag.

A rail fence block is made even easier by simply laying a 5" strip from a Honey Bun centered on a charm square and stitched about 1/8" from the raw edges. This results in 3 - 1 1/2" strips for a 4 1/2" finished block - very cool! With parts of Honey Bun strips left, I made long and short loops, tucked them in the border seam and buttoned them down for fun. With even more Honey Bun scraps, a textural pillow with loops sewn into the seams was next on the list. Then, when I realized I hadn't used any of the light strips, an easy bag from our KT pre-quilted Cattails & Clover fabric (3/4yd.) embellished with 3 rows of loops came to life. A Honey Bun and 2 charm packs makes a great sized lap quilt, too. How much fun can you have with a Honey Bun? Tons!

Both of these patterns will be available by Jan. 1st, just in time for precuts of Sandhill Plums. Yardage ships in February.

I enjoyed playing with the precut Honey Bun strips, creating texture and dimension with the pinked edges. Anyone out there having fun with them too?

17 comments:

  1. This collection is a must have, but then again, they all are! What's a girl to do? LOL. My husband is from the Sandhills of Nebraska and always talks about the plums. I love the Loopy projects and the raw edge Honey Bun strip layered on a charm square and the loops with the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great new line. All of these patterns look fast and fabulous. I've always wondered how a scalloped edge rotary cutter would work - wow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your projects ALWAYS have such a distinctive look to them - a combination of your fabrics and your own designs - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great patterns! My want list just keeps getting longer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shades are beautiful, love the rich colors and they look beautiful quilted up.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new colors and the patterns. Your are something else to come up with all of this. Love to do the raw edge applique.
    Sandy S in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that all your projects are simple to make but look like they took more time to make than they really did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of your new projects, and of course, the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your fabrics and patterns and the name of them all! Oh, yes the stack of suit cases looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fabrics and wonderful patterns! Guess it's time to dig out that scalloped cutter. Maybe I'll find it by the time the patterns are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fabric collection and your wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love, love, love, love, love the new patterns! And, the fabric line looks fabulous (as always)! Did I say how much I love the new patterns?!? Can't wait till they come out. HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a pinking blade for my rotary cutter but haven't used it much. I like the scalloped edges. The rail fence quilt looks so snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooooh! My list of "Want to do" projects keeps getting bigger. Love all of these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure which I like best and I'm not usually a bag person! The quilt, though, does have to go onto my "need to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Sandhill Plum Bush is just gorgeous!! And I can easily see how it inspired a fabric line for you. Already looking forward to January!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynne,

    Love the Sandhill Plum's... Just one more beautiful fabric line that you have come up with. I love them all you know! I am work on a quilt that I got the block patterns and setting patterns from a Shop Hop here in Ohio Amish Country. I am doing the quilt with scraps from several of your fabric lines. it is turning out beautiful! Thanks for all your wonderful fabrics and patterns!

    ReplyDelete