Monday, September 19, 2011

At the Fair, continued...

My Moda Country Fair Blog Hop day on Friday recapped our trip to the Kansas State Fair last week. Here are a few more highlights.
It was fun to see what people will do with gourds...
witches and snakes...
and mounted steer horns! They must be so proud!

We enjoyed seeing the bounty of Kansas in a wheat fountain...


a future bolt of fabric...


and a few steps away, the noxious weeds display (keeping this one for future reference)...


One thing we found fascinating and mind-blowing was the human slingshot. The sign read $25, but Robert said I'd have to pay him a whole lot more than that to be shot over 250 ft. into the air in a metal cage suspended by two weeny cables stretched to their limit, flipping over and over again, operated by 2 guys that didn't even have all their teeth. The pictures were at night so they didn't come out real well. Should have had sound so you could hear the 2 men on the ride screaming like little girls!

We hadn't made the trip to the fair in several years. It was a nice break and a really good time. Thanks for coming along on my fair adventure.

Now on to the business of picking a winner for our Charming Thursday giveaway. Congratulations to
, you're the winner of the Vine Creek charm pack and pattern. Stay tuned this week for another charm pack giveaway.

Don't forget to check in with all the Moda designers throughout the month for lots of prizes and surprises! Hop on over today to visit Barbara Brackman's blog. I could listen to her talk about vintage fabrics for hours - she truly does know it all.

 Next up tomorrow is Bonnie of Cotton Way. She and her daughter, Camille, are so much fun to visit with at market and make amazing quilts.

8 comments:

  1. For some reason, I couldn't see the name of the winner here? I tried highlighting the "missing name" and even that didn't work. I am wondering if it's me or if others have the same problem?

    PS The human slingshot sounds scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The winner is LKDrum. Read the post Lynne placed below this one. She was unable to edit the blog entry to add the winner's name, so it appears in a separate post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gourds! And, I agree with Robert - in fact I don't think you could pay me enough to get in that sling shot! Would have loved to hear the audio. It feels like fall here in Kentucky after such a hot summer and your quilts and fabric have that warm, snuggly look.

    Happy Stitching!
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful fair, I miss the old fashioned ones we went to as a kid, now they are more for the sales and rides.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynne! I can't wait to hear about your trip to Dansville. I bet you met some interesting people there! ....and probably some not so interesting groupie types.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed hearing the rest of you fair visit story. The wheat fountain must have been really cool. Can't wait to hear about your trip to NY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw some cotton in the field down the road for me the other day but I live in AL. I didn't know you grew it in KS as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading about your Fair, especially liked the wheat fountain.

    ReplyDelete